SIGNL4 provides persistent and real-time alert notifications to your admin team. Sending alert notifications exclusively to members on duty reduces response times, notification noise and fatigue. Ownership of alerts improves accountability and ensures real-time transparency.
Sample Use Case
We will setup an operational alert for an Azure Database. The alert condition will be based on the total data-base size, i.e. your team will be notified when the size of your Azure Database exceeds a certain threshold. However, you can implement reliable alert notifications to your operational teams for other Azure infrastructure assets. Simply follow the instructions in this blog post.
Use the SIGNL4 Webhook
We’ll send Azure Monitor alerts to the webhook of your SIGNL4 team. To do that identify your SIGNL4 webhook URL first:
• Open the SIGNL4 app and tap on the gear next to your user name
• Choose Team -> APIs
• Press ‘Get API Samples’ to send yourself an email which includes your teams webhook URL
• Copy the URL from the webhook section of the email into your clipboard
Setup new alert rule in Azure Monitor
Now setup an alert rule in Azure Monitor. We will configure an alert rule to receive notifications when database problems have occurred but you can also configure these rules for any other Azure asset in the same way.
- In Azure Portal navigate to your desired asset, in our case open the database for which you want to setup an alert rule
- From the navigation menu of your desired Azure asset choose “Alert rules” from the monitoring category
- Click ‘Add alert’ on the top of that blade
- Select a name for your rule and choose a preferred metric, condition and threshold. In this example, we configure this alert rule to fire when the total size of the database exceeds 1 megabytes.
- Finally, paste your SIGNL4 webhook API URL, which you have copied to your clipboard, earlier into the Webhook field. Finally, your alert configuration should look similar to the below screenshot.
- Click ‘OK’ to save your new alert
You’re ready to get your Signls
That’s it – you are good to go! Presumed that your database size is or becomes larger than 1 megabytes, Azure Monitor will now create a new alert and forward it to your SIGNL4 webhook. The SIGNL will be notified to all of your team members on duty and is immediately visible for everyone in the SIGNL4 app!